The benefits of Solar Shading from Blinds & Shutters.
The benefits of Solar Shading from Blinds
Norwich Sunblinds has been producing an outstanding array of beautiful blinds and shutters (as well as curtains) for domestic and commercial properties for many years but research confirms what we have always thought.
Studies show that the humble blind can make fundamental changes to our well-being and the environment.
Research carried out by the BBSA (British Blind & Shutter Association) has proven that effective Solar Shading brings many positive benefits to commercial organisations, and the people working for them.
Most notably these include positive effects on our behaviour and the environment.
The benefits of Natural Light on productivity at work.
People prefer to work in natural light conditions rather than artificial. Working with natural daylight has been shown to improve people’s emotions, attitudes and cognitive responses.
- Office workers recently placed daylight in the top two most desirable elements in the workplace.
- Research has also demonstrated that office workers performed 10-25% better on tests of mental function and memory recall when they had the best possible views.
- We spend 90% of our time inside buildings, and lack of connection with natural light is known to affect body rhythms negatively.
Solar Shading – the use of blinds and shutters – used appropriately in the commercial environment can solve the problems previously associated with the use of too much glass in a building.
- Many older buildings lose or gain too much heat through their glazing, and it was thought that using less glass would help this problem.
- However, we have already seen the negative effects of people working without natural light, so companies and public sector organisations are realising the benefits of controlling heat loss or heat gain through blinds and shutters.
- This provides their employees with a much more natural, comfortable and pleasant environment in which to work.
Blinds and shutters can be made to suit a multitude of situations, and they are very cost effective.
- Solar Shading with well-designed blinds or shutters allows large areas of glazing to be used in buildings with all the known benefits that brings.
- Control of heat and light gain when needed with solar shading
- Solar shading provides an ambient temperature in commercial & public places which improves productivity.
- Controlling glare in a commercial or public place is a legal requirement, blinds and shutters do this.
Solar shading through bespoke blinds and shutters for the commercial and public environment can, therefore, be credited with contributing to superior work performance, higher productivity, increased concentration and a decrease in absenteeism.
The benefits of Solar Shading on our Environment – Save Energy & Save Money
- The UK is known as a ‘heating’ nation which means we spend more to keep our buildings warm than cool.
- Glazing is known to be a weak element in building construction and known for heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer. Using blinds and shutters will help reduce these gains and losses and control light levels.
- Effective use of blinds and shutters in the workplace will reduce energy consumption, reduce the need for artificial lighting and hence reduce energy bills.
With correct solar shading, companies can use less heating or air conditioning, making them a cost-effective solution.
The Shard, one of London’s most iconic buildings, solves the problem of solar shading by using motorised roller blinds built into the external envelope of the building.
The Shard achieves 88% heat rejection.
If you would like to learn more about how your company can best utilise blinds and shutters to help improve the working conditions for your employees, increase well-being and productivity, together with saving money, then call us on 01603 334 085 send an email, or visit our Attleborough Showroom.